If there is one appliance that you shouldn’t ever miss in your home or office, it is the air purifier. These devices feature effective filters which enable them to remove harmful pollutants such as allergens, hazardous asbestos, bacteria, viruses, pollen, gases, smoke, pet hairs, unpleasant odors, dust, and other impurities from the air. They ensure that the air you are breathing is healthy, clean, and safe for you and your family.
A quality air purifier can protect your family from different forms of allergies, asthma triggers, and other diseases that are caused by air pollutants. These appliances also stop the spread of germs and viruses in your home. However, they work differently since they have different filtration stages and features. This means that each model is good for removing specific pollutants only. In this article, we shall reveal the most effective and the best air purifiers on the market.
Top 10 Air Purifiers in 2021 [Reviewed]
Table Of Contents
- 1. Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier with UV Light Sanitizer
- 2. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier for Home or Office
- 3. Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier
- 4. Hathaspace Smart True HEPA Air Purifier for Home, 5-in-1
- 5. Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
- 6. Medify Air MA-40W V2.0 Air Purifier with H13 Hepa Filter
- 7. Blueair Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier for Home 3 Stage with Washable Pre-Filter
- 8. LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home Large Room with H13 True HEPA Filter Cleaner
- 9. Honeywell HPA200 True HEPA Allergen Remover
- 10. Molekule Air Mini Small Room Air Purifier with PECO Technology
- How to Pick the Best Air Purifier
Best air purifier for viruses and bacteria
Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier comes first on our list as one of the cheapest and most reliable models on the market. It has a high number of customer reviews than most models on the market meaning that it is very effective. If you are tired of cleaning the dust that accumulates on your shelves, walls, TVs, or other surfaces, this unit will make your work easier since it is able to absorb all the dust in the room.
It also features top-quality HEPA filters which are specially designed to improve the air quality in the room. These filters are able to remove up to 99.97% of airborne particles such as mold, pollen, pet dander, dust mites, odor, dust among others. In addition, it has 3-speed settings plus a UV-C light for killing airborne viruses like staph, influenza, and rhinovirus. It also features Titanium Dioxide which reduces volatile organic compounds. However, it is only suitable for small rooms with a measurement of up to 153 square feet.
- Pocket-friendly price
- Easy to use
- 3-speed settings
- AHAM verified
- Portable design
- 3 years warranty
- Not suitable for large rooms
Best air purifier for dust and smugHamilton Beach TrueAir 04386A features a high-grade Hepa filter that is able to remove up to 99% of dust, pet dander, pollen, dust mites, and mold/mildew up to 3 microns. The unit also comes with a permanent Hepa grade filter that is easy to clean. In terms of design, it has a stylish and compact design which makes it ideal for rooms with limited space.
If your room is not more than 160 square feet, this unit will be an excellent choice. It has 3-speed settings to enhance its performance. You can use the quiet setting at night or the quick or medium setting for a thorough air cleaning. For those who are on a budget, this is among the most budget-friendly air purifiers you can find today. You can also position it either vertically or horizontally to fit in your bedroom, office, living room, hallway, den, or nursery.
- Compact and stylish design
- Able to remove up to 99% of impurities
- 3-speed settings
- Fairly priced
- Quiet and powerful
- Not very powerful
- Loud on the highest settings
Best air purifier for smokers
The Coway AP-1512HH air purifier is among the most advanced and highly reliable air purifiers on the market. One of the major benefits of using this appliance is that it covers a large area of up to 361 square feet which means that it is ideal for large rooms. In order to enhance its performance, it uses an advanced 4-stage filtration system. It also comes with a timer that allows you to schedule it to work for 1, 4, 8 or 12 hours. The filter replacement indicator lets you know when it is time to replace the filter.
Another thoughtful feature you will find in this unit is the air quality indicator which enables it to detect when the air is contaminated. This indicator features a colored LED which lets you know how dirty or clean the air is in every minute. There is also an auto mode that senses and adjusts the fan speed to remove the air particles in the air. In addition, it features 3 fan speeds which enable you to adjust the unit according to how you want the unit to work.
- Advanced air purifier
- 4 filtration stages
- Perfect for those who smoke
- Covers a large area
- Air quality indicator
- 3 fan speeds
- Extremely loud and shakes on high speed
Best air purifier for allergies
The most outstanding thing about this unit is that it is a 5-in-1 purification system. The first stage features a Hepa pre-filter which removes large particles such as pet hairs and dust. The second stage features a cellular activated carbon filter that absorbs smoke odors VOC’s and gas. During the third stage, VOC’s and gases such as ammonia are removed. In the next stage, there is an ionizer that releases negatively charged ions. These ions help to neutralize smoke, pet hair, dust, and odors. The fifth stage contains a True Hepa filter that removes up to 99.97 of pollutants.
You can also use it in large rooms since it covers a large area of up to 350 square feet up to 48 times within a day. The unit is equipped with smart features such as the air quality sensor which enables it to adjust according to the levels of impurities in the air. There is also an auto mode that adjusts the fan sped to remove pollutants. Apart from that, it is easy to operate through the remote control.
- Features 5 filtration stages
- Ideal for large rooms
- Easy to operate using a remote control
- Equipped with smart features
- 2 years warranty
- Produces a strong plastic smell
Best air purifier for pets
This one is another top-quality air purifier that is equipped with amazing features. To start with, the unit features a washable mesh-pore-filter that removes large airborne particles. It also features an activated carbon filter for removing odors, smoke, gases, and VOC’s. There is also a True HEPA filter which is able to capture up to 99% of airborne allergens such as pollen, pet dander, smoke, dust, microbes, and mold spores. Unlike others, this unit also uses a unique PlasmaWave Air Cleaning Technology which helps to neutralize viruses and bacteria.
The inbuilt air quality sensors enable it to adjust the fan speed according to the level of impurities in the air. When the room becomes dark, the unit automatically switches to sleep mode to provide an energy-saving and quiet operation. It reverts to auto mode when there is light. With this appliance, you are able to know the right time to change the filter since it has a filter indicator. If you are searching for a reliable air purifier for medium to small rooms, this one will be a great choice since it has a CADR rating of 360 square feet.
- Dual smart sensors
- Washable pre-filter
- Automatic and night modes
- Suitable for medium to large rooms
- User-friendly design
- 2 years warranty
- Not great for smokers
Best air purifier for large room
In terms of performance, this air purifier is amongst the most reliable purifiers that have an HEPA filter. To start with, it is very powerful since it is able to clean a room up to 1600 square feet within an hour and up to 840 square feet in 30 minutes. It is also able to clean a room with a measurement of 420 square feet within 15 minutes. Apart from the powerful performance, this unit uses an advanced H13 HEPA filter which is able to remove up to 99.9% of impurities from the air.
Another thing you need to note is that it uses a 3 stage filtration whereby during the initial stage, there is a pre-filter that traps large particles such as hair and dust. The next stage features an H13 HEPA filter which removes up to 99.9% of particles up to 0.1 microns. The last stage features an activated carbon filter that absorbs odors and gases. You should also note that the unit is energy star and ETL certified for quality. It also comes with a lifetime warranty as approve of quality. Other features you will find in this unit include 3 fan speeds, child lock, 8 hour times, and night mode.
- Very powerful performance
- Tempered glass panel
- 3 fan speeds
- Filter replacement indicator
- Energy Star and ETL certified
- Lifetime warranty
- A bit pricey but worth it
Best air purifier for mold
The Blueair Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier is a perfect option for rooms with a measurement of 100 square feet to 175 square feet. This means that it is suitable for small to medium-sized rooms such as small bedrooms, dorm rooms, nurseries, or small offices. The unit is energy star rated meaning that it does not consume a lot of power. It also comes with reusable filters which should be replaced after 6 months. In terms of performance, it uses a 3-filtration system which enables sit to capture up to 99% of impurities.
It is very effective for removing dust mites, pet dander, odors, allergens, smoke, mold spore room smells, gases, and VOC’s. The first stages contain a pre-filter which helps to remove large particles such as dust and pet dander. This pre-filter can be changed to match the decor of your house. It comes with grey and dark blue pre-filters built you can also purchase other colors differently. Another benefit you will enjoy when using this purifier is that it is very quiet in operation since it uses advanced filters which provide high airflow with minimal noise.
- Energy efficient
- Stylish design
- HEPA Silent technology
- Provides a quiet operation
- Able to remove 99% of impurities
- Affordable price
- Releases unpleasant odor
Best portable air purifier
If you have a pet in your house, this is among the best air purifiers you should have. It has a compact size and it doesn’t get in the way when using it. There is also a carrying handle which makes it easy to move from one room to another. Apart from that, it is energy efficient since it has a power rating of 55W which means that you won’t spend a lot of money on electricity even when using it for 24 hours.
In addition, it is equipped with a washable pre-filter that traps pet fur, lint, and hair. The activated carbon helps to absorb smoke, odors from pets, and cooking gases. It also features an H13 grade True HEPA filter that captures up to 99% of pollutants up to 0.3 microns. The unit is highly effective in the removal of allergens, pollen, pet dander, dust, germs, pollen, and mold spores. Don’t forget that it is certified by CARB, FCC and it is also ETL listed.
- Compact and portable appliance
- Safe and certified
- It is highly effective
- Energy saving
- Able to capture even microscopic allergens
- Quiet and effective
- High noise level
Best air purifier for office/bedroom
The Honeywell HPA200 True HEPA Allergen Remover is a suitable option for large rooms which are up to 310 square feet. It comes from a reputable brand since Honeywell is a well-known company when it comes to the production of quality home appliances. It uses a very effective true HEPA filter which is able to remove up to 99% of all airborne particles. You can highly rely on it to remove allergens, dust, odors, and stale indoor air. The unit is very easy to use since it has easy tap control and an auto-off timer.
Again, it has 4 cleaning levels for germs, allergens, general cleaning, and turbo. With this purifier, you are guaranteed that the air you are breathing in your home is very clean. It is also able to neutralize all odors to give you a clean and healthy breathing experience. Another thing you will be pleased to note about it is that it comes with a 5 years warranty.
- Features a powerful filtration system
- Ideal for large rooms
- Easy to use touch controls
- Uses a genuine Honeywell filter
- Auto-off timer
- 5 years warranty
- Irritating burning smell
Best buy air purifier
As compared to other air purifiers we have reviewed in this article, this one is the most advanced. One of the things that set it apart from the rest is that it uses a unique Photo Electrochemical Oxidation Nanotechghnology to destroy viruses, allergens, mold, and bacteria. It is also designed for small rooms with a measurement of up to 250 square feet. This means that it is the best for studio apartments, home offices, and kids’ bedrooms. The unit is very easy to use through the one-touch interface.
You can also connect it to your Wi-Fi for easier control using the Android app or iPhone. Besides that, it has 5 fan speeds meaning that you can customize it according to your purifications requirements. The Molekule PECO-Filter features a proprietary coating to enhance its performance. It is very easy to carry since it comes with a comfortable handle. The 1 PECO filter that comes with the unit is highly effective and it should be replaced after 6 months.
- Very advanced air purifier
- 5 fan speeds
- Easy to use
- Portable design
- Allows you to connect it via Wi-Fi
- Destroys ozone
How to Pick the Best Air Purifier
When searching for the best air purifier, you need to consider the following.
- Size of the appliance – Air purifiers are available in different sizes. Before buying, you need to ask yourself whether you have enough space for the appliance. A portable unit is always the best since you can use it in different rooms. Look for one that has a comfortable carrying handle.
- Type of contaminants – Another thing you need to know before you invest in any purifier is the most common type of contaminants in your home. This is because every model is effective for removing specific contaminants only. It is difficult to find a unit that can effectively remove all the contaminants. For example, some are only suitable for removing pet dander, pollen, dust allergens but they may not be effective for killing bacteria and viruses. The best purifiers are those that use multiple technologies. Such purifiers are a bit expensive but worth it.
- Coverage – All air purifiers are designed to cover a limited area. Some are only suitable for small rooms, others for medium spaces, while the most powerful ones are ideal for large rooms. Therefore, you need to check the product’s specifications to make sure that the one you have picked matches the size of your living room, bedroom, office, or any other room where you would like to use it.
- Price – The price of air purifiers varies from one model to the other. The most advanced models are very expensive but they are more reliable than the cheap ones. They are also effective in removing many contaminants from the air. However, check the features first to confirm that the unit is indeed worth the money because not all expensive air purifiers are reliable.
- Noise levels – Some air purifiers are very noisy and may not be the best, especially at night. Ensure that the one you have picked contains different speed settings or they have a quiet mode that you can use at night.
Air purifiers are important appliances you should always have in your home if you really care about the health of your family. The good thing is that they are not very expensive which means that there is no reason you should not have one in your home or office. They are also compact, easy to use, and stylish.
Before buying, you will need to check the type of pollutants that the unit is able to remove then go for the one that is able to remove as many impurities as possible. We understand that this can be a bit difficult since there are so many models on the market. To make your work easier, we have provided a list of the top-rated models that will give you the best performance. All the products in this article are highly effective and have a higher number of positive reviews than other models on the market.